Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

November 17, 2012

This Isn't Lombok Anymore Maryanna

By Maryanna Gabriel

I am not allowed in the stores right now. I know myself. I have no self control. Well, I did need lights, didn’t I? It was a sale after all. I can manage a string of lights without going right off the rails. No worries, I have got this covered.  As I eyed the wares, I listened to a  woman say, “There ought to be a law against putting Christmas decorations up before December first." She seemed aggrieved. I nodded and said nothing. My eyes went to the artificial poinsettias in plastic vases on either side of the door. I smiled fondly. You see my last Christmas was in Lombok. It seemed like a good idea at the time and I vaguely knew what I was getting into but as we left the country I said to myself, well maybe I could have done with at least one Christmas bulb. Nor did I feel welcome there. It is Muslim being influenced hundreds of years ago by Saudi traders. I remember the monkeys on the roof, the enormous spiders, the rice fields, the downpours, the calls to Allah before dawn as today I unpack my Christmas decoration box, take cookies out of the oven, and write Christmas cards by the fire. I love Christmas.