Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

February 19, 2016

Skull Island

By Maryanna Gabriel

"If you go out in the woods today, you better not go alone..."

Heaven Itself
There is a place here that is beautiful, white shell midden beaches, and when the sun shines and the waters sparkle it seems as if heaven itself has touched the earth. Yet when one strays away from the water into the forest there is a strange creepy feeling. The hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. I once walked with a friend who could not hurry me through fast enough. He definitely felt the place was giving him the jitters. Then I heard at a community gathering that years ago some girls decided to have a sleep-over in the woods, only to come screaming out in the middle of the night. I walked through with another friend and she felt nothing, so there you go.

It was only recently that I found out that there was a history that seemed ominous, a history I
Skull Island
suspected, 
and a story which explains it. Historically it is said that the islets off of this land was covered in bones and skulls at contact. It was called "Skull Island" by the pioneers. So there was warfare in this area on the south end which is now a reserve and still owned by the indigenous First Nations. A little later in time, on the same land, a farm was established. Mysteriously, the farm house was  abandoned with all of the belongings still in it. This also was a mystery. Now a story has surfaced that the occupants got small pox and went off some place quietly to die, probably nearby, once again contributing to the haunting feeling of the place. Later a cider house was built inspired by the wonderful apples that were growing. The cider house is long gone. I go still. I take a picnic. It is too beautiful not to. I try not to stray into the woods. 

Cider House From The Apples