Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

October 5, 2016

Seton

By Maryanna Gabriel



The "Bud Car" still runs from
Lillooet to Seton Lake. 
The first time I saw Seton Lake I said to myself that I wanted to live here. My wish was granted. For a short time I perched myself in a small white house on the lake drinking in the beauty of it. I had worked by the lake after all. I was part of a team of archaeologists that did research at the head of the lake at what was an extremely rich cultural deposit. It was an amazing experience and hugely rewarding. I was wondering what I was going to find as I drove down the new descent to where so much of my past lay. I got out. I was relieved to see that it was relatively pristine. No condo's or hotels. In fact, it seemed to be commandeered by BC Hydro. A road switch-backed through what was the site. Access to the lake was controlled by a gate and a brick BC Hydro Building stood where I knew we had excavated. Hmmm. Being out of the archaeology business I imagined they paid their due diligence. Sage brush and pine trees surrounded me as I remembered the people that I shared this experience with. One of those people eventually became my husband. I sighed as I observed a complicated canal connecting the lake to the town of Lillooet.
Recording petroglyphs on the Fraser River. 
The town is on a dusty plateau that overlooks the Fraser River. I remember back in the day that the local pub had two entrances, one for the whites, one for the First Nations people. The memory was so Alabama. I remembered characters of the town I had made friends with. We had to do a lot of interviewing at times as we researched. One of the projects was working for PhD candidate, Doris Lundy, and our job was to record the petrogylphs that were incredibly prolific. It was such a lovely job. I pulled myself out of my reverie. It was time to leave Seton and I got back into the car.