Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

May 6, 2021

Rainforest Flying Squad - Warning Explicit Content

 By Maryanna Gabriel






All the work needing to be done on the property has been overwhelming. I put out an ad for help and had the nicest young man respond. For three days we worked together and I was impressed that he arrived on time - always an accomplishment on Salt Spring Island. He was considerate and worked hard. Every penny was worth it and so I tipped him.

As he left, he told me he was going to a protest. A company is logging old growth forest in a sensitive area. I know the region well, a beautiful part of Vancouver Island not far from Clayoquot Sound. Protests years ago saved this delicate region which was eventually made into a park. Being a lover of trees and all too familiar with the desecration of Vancouver Island, I had a funny feeling as he was leaving. 

"Take care out there. Look after yourself," I called out. He turned and nodded thoughtfully. 

I thought he was very brave. That was a couple of days ago. Today he is on the CBC news. Listen to these loggers make racial slurs and threaten him. Of course, the news version is all bleeped. 

The young man is part of a movement called Rainforest Flying Squad. The group has launched an appeal to the British Columbia courts against Tree Farm Licence #46. "Teal Jones’ primary method of logging is clear cutting, ensuring the loss of biodiversity. They have stated their intention to cut “all available old-growth until it is exhausted.” https://laststandforforests.com/

I should have tipped him more.