Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

October 27, 2022

Country Mouse

 By Maryanna Gabriel


I was raised in a city and I suppose I am used to it but this country mouse has had to shelter from the storm. Knitting relieves stress I find, and I am on my second scarf. Rather than listening to owls, I listen for the clatter of recycling boxes as they are lifted into trucks. There is a gardener at the vacation rental I am staying in who shows up with his mower at the same time every week, an unheard of event on Salt Spring where work and time is a more abstract concept. There seems to be a plethora of leaf blowers. One blows rather than rakes, vacuums rather than sweeps, and bags rather than burns. At least on this street. 

Then I found myself slowing the other day in Beacon Hill Park as I peered cautiously over the steering wheel. I am driving like I do on the island - as if a deer might leap in front of me. Suddenly, a deer did jump out! Good thing it was me and not some of the rage drivers I have encountered - the kind that lean on their horns if I don't hurl the car into oncoming traffic. So I knit. And feel better. In some ways, I am starting to get used to it all. Victoria is a beautiful city. And there is much I will miss. Not just the food but the physical beauty of the heritage buildings laced with Garry Oak set by mountains and sea. But today is my big day. 

I sign the papers. My new home on this big island awaits.