Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

August 10, 2023

A Major Moment In Tanner's Books

 By Maryanna Gabriel

You can't just write a book. You have to do stuff around it. As if the writing isn't enough. 

One is supposed to be promoting and it was a massive part of my training when I studied for my MFA. A never ending natter in one's mind of course, and I often wonder how much is enough.

Yesterday, I walked into Tanner's Books, in the seaside town of Sidney BC (one of my favourite places with a wonderful magazine selection) and moved to the shelf closest to my heart, travel. I was staring rather happily at the Bill Bryson section, and scanned my way past something about lemon trees in Italy, when I just about keeled over. There was my book! Not just one. A bunch!

I am not sure if I ran to the front desk but I moved very quickly in that general direction. How did they get them???? We-eeee-e-ll, came the reply, someone asked for it, and then they decided to get several, the Camino being a popular subject. 

Holy smokes. One of those moments. 

They asked would I sign. Why yes, I would. That was before I made off with a copy of Alba Donati's, Diary of a Tuscan Bookshop. It wasn't until I got home that I realized my rather prolific publisher, Lesley Choyce, was pictured above with his most recent book, Around England With A Dog.

Next time.