Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

March 9, 2024

Kaslo

 By Maryanna Gabriel


Am packing my bags. This house hunting is getting a bit depressing, and as it is almost spring, I thought I would explore the historic town of Kaslo which is called "the Little Switzerland of Canada". The mountains right now are snow-capped, which makes the journey quite spectacular. 

Kaslo wound down with the outbreak of the first world war but before that, it was a bustling silver mining town. It has many historic buildings with a population of 500 or so. I am staying in an historic hotel which includes two swims at the Ainsworth Hot Springs about ten minutes away, which should be interesting. I came to Ainsworth with David on our honeymoon, and we swam together in the hot springs. David and I canoed the Bowren Lakes and then traveled through the Kootenay region as we headed to an archaeological dig near Cranbrook. We were both active in archaeology at the time. It is always a bit strange to revisit the past. That seems so long ago.