Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

June 26, 2024

Officer Report and Not a Bad Somewhere Else

 By Maryanna Gabriel 


By now I'm loading the car. As quickly as my compromised back will allow. 

The conversation with the conservation officer was not exactly reassuring. He could trap the bear "but there are so many cubs in the area" he might trap the wrong one and then the mother would tear the trap apart. Oh, and the 4-year-old should not be playing outside alone.

Then there was the final kick. Bears tore apart three cars last year in Nelson. Completely ruined them. I should empty mine. 

My precious car with nice smelly stuff? Like hand cream. Did I put the walnuts in? By the way, are those scratch marks on the drivers seat door handle from my keys? Or....

Upshot? Immediate plan change. Rearrangement of itinerary. Insomnia. Maybe forget stargazing.

I pack faster and madly cogitate, whilst fearfully looking over my shoulder. I jump at any movement and slight noise. Then I phone the man who is in charge of my domicile. He lives nearby. 

"The key is under the pansy pot," I say. I describe the cub. 

"I met that bear. He came into my house," he says. "Just walked right in. Ten in the morning. He was interested in the cat food dish. Fortunately, when I yelled he left." 

So, no window-gnawing then. We decided he went from my place to his within hours. Not sure why we all say "he" but we do. 

I spoke again to the mother of the four-year-old girl. They have lived in Nelson for ten years. The bears only started coming down from the mountains two or three years ago when it was so dry. Not before. It is a new bear movement. The cry around town is to preserve the bears and the conservation officers have new protocols to abide by. She tells me her backyard is almost fenced and smiles reassuringly, as though her daughter will be fine. I did not want to mention that bears climb fences. 

Whatever happens next on the bear front, I've now checked out. See you later. I'm all for preserving body and soul, thank you very much. And my car. 

Last night I slept like a lamb. Not a bad somewhere else. A pair of ospreys are circling the shore. 


Not a bad somewhere else.