Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

November 29, 2011

Australia, Coffs Harbour


It has been great to visit Leone in Coffs Harbour, where the forest meets the sea, a city of 100,000, halfway between Sydney and Brisbane. Pristine beaches of endless sand, excellent food, memorable dining, a visit to a farm called “Kiwi Down Under” that is a kiwi plantation, were all part of wonderful new experiences and even better, new friendships. The beauty of Australia, new sounds explored, and wildlife discovered has been a series of unexpected delights. A special day of touring into the Dorrigo Hills, led us to where waterfalls abound, into a World Heritage Rainforest Preserve that is special because of the primitive vegetation is as it was millions of years ago.

Pictured here is a Bush Turkey, an inhabitant here, and also pictured is a touching encounter with a kangaroo and her joey, who ended up keeling over backward into the pouch and having a nap with his two feet sticking out and toes dangling nonchalantly as mama grazed.The visit concludes with a magical sunset stroll on Muttonbird Island, the glow in the west resonating with the kindle in my heart alight with the wonderful gifts of friendship and warm hospitality.


Leaving with mixed feelings I note that Australia has the most amazing trains. They are far more comfortable than buses, they have hot meals, bar, and Devonshire tea with hot scones, cream and jam. It is a bit like something out of an Agatha Christie novel. It is with sadness I depart for I have made some amazing friendships here. I ride south to collect my passport and leave for the next part of my journey, New Zealand. Australia has exceeded all of my expectations. As it is said by the first people’s here, “Reverence for all creatures is the dreaming.” Australia, you have restored my faith in humankind.