Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

November 4, 2011

Tasmania, Freycinet National Park


Beautiful blue seas, red rocks, white beaches – we have been doing a lot of walking and hiking in this extraordinary beauty. Sarah has done a lot of camping here and knows the area really well so I have been fortunate to have her here to guide me. I would not have seen so much so comfortably otherwise. The rocks are the kind that seem to have a personality as though a spirit inhabited them.

We met a wallaby and also a spotted skink pictured here. A skink is able to shed his tail if he is caught by it and regenerate a new one. The people here continue to be incredibly kind and warm. We had dinner with a friend of Sarah’s and I felt like I got an intimate view of what life is like on the fringes of the park – perhaps a bit like home where one is subjected to influxes of tourism. I saw the biggest spider I have ever seen in my life come out of the trunk of our vehicle – I kept saying I am not afraid of spiders as it scuttled out of view while I was trying to catch my breath. This area was occupied prehistorically by the aboriginal peoples, the Toorernomairremener, but record of their life has not been documented and little is known of them from the time of contact.

Settlers used the middens as a matrix for making bricks which further destroyed physical records. Whales cruise by here on their way to southern oceans. The south-artic winds blow across Tasmania but on this the eastern shore it is more protected and temperatures tend to be a lot warmer. I am having a difficult time because I have lost my passport which is proving to be quite tricky and I am not sure how this is going to translate into what is trying to unfold for me. It is difficult to be calm. The policeman said his wife lost his, hers and their child’s passport along with 1,000 Euros in a Korean taxi cab and they got them back. I think that was to help cheer me up. Pictured here is a flower called “Pigface.” We are headed now back to Hobart, the main city of Tasmania, where Sarah has deep roots.