Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

March 23, 2013

More Tales Of The North


It gets in your blood, they say. The first time I was in the Yukon I was 15. When I heard about this project through my youth group in the Anglican Church, I just knew it was for me, the way one “knows” these things in ones walk through life. We were introduced to many communities and did what we could there and it was a wonderful experience. Most memorably, one of our team felt a practical joke too much to contain. We were commissioned to paint the curling rink in Carmacks and the pun being too much for her, our friend painted on the long roof in huge, roller-sized, letters, “RINKY DINKY CARMACKS.” Needless to say the church elders were not amused. We heard of a trucker who almost went off the highway where the roof was clearly visible to passersby. She had to wash it off. Years later, by chance I ran into her and smiling broadly I brought up the incident. She went dead quiet and I could tell she was pained by the memory. I was sorry to see that for the follies of youth can be forgiven. We all admired her spirit.