Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

March 9, 2013

The Top Of The World On My Mind

Gold Claim North Of Dawson City
Me With Our Host



By Maryanna Gabriel

With a daughter heading north this summer I have been thinking a lot about Dawson City which is a long ways north in the Yukon. I have been to this restored gold rush town twice but the last trip we went even further north to “Top Of The World” country to visit a family that was actually working a gold claim. I was intrigued. Their driveway was ten miles long. They had a big machine to placer mine in the oxbow shaped river where they had their second house (their winter house was in Dawson) and because it is daylight for almost 24 hours they took turns working the claim nonstop. She had a garden which intrigued me and we discussed what she could produce there with that midnight sun which was surprisingly considerable. We camped outside and were invited for breakfast the following morning. We slept in, were late, and I had a sinking feeling it was a bad idea. This was verified when we got to the house profuse with apologies and the family was sitting quietly and very still at the table waiting for us, the food was cold. Oooh. The meal was very quiet, and a big gun was nearby. Maybe the gold on site was an issue. We left feeling like we had experienced something truly unique. I sent her some seeds I thought she might like to thank her but I never heard anything back.