Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

June 24, 2014

Alberta Bound

By Maryanna Gabriel



Feeling antsy about being out of cell range I came out of the Ashinola asking myself what was the matter?
Coming Out Of The Ashinola - Mountain Sheep
There were messages waiting as I drove out of the valley. They were from my daughter. With trembling excitement I accessed the first message. Her water had broken. Hurriedly I accessed the second message. Well, well. The miracle had happened. A son had been born unto us this day in Alberta. I lift up my eyes past the sage covered hills to the blue skies.

A pickup pulled over and a man with copper coloured skin and a Navajo hat asked me with concern if something was wrong. I beamed at him. "I`m a grandmother!" He shook his head and drove off smiling as I stared joyfully at a Snake Crossing sign. After a happy night with my son-in-law`s parents in wine country catching up on all of the details, it is Alberta bound for me. I would not say I am exactly driving like a trucker but let`s just say all fear and trepidation have been set aside as a rainy mist descends upon the Kettle Valley. I pass through historic Greenwoods into Doukabour country. The Deadwood Junction CafĂ© here is quite wonderful and I learn that the copper foundry that was built in the 1800`s was described by The Province as "one of the most complete and modern that can be found in the world today." No matter. I have miles to go before I sleep, a young grandson to meet, a precious family to keep. Thanks for being with me here with me.