Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

June 23, 2014

Dreaming Long Waking Dreams


By Maryanna Gabriel

          "Absorbed in the new life he was entering upon, intoxicated with sparkle, the ripple,
            the scents and the sounds and the sunlight, he trailed a paw in the water and dreamed
           long waking dreams." 
Kenneth Graeme - Wind In The Willows

I am feeling a lot better after my orientation. I was warmly received and the button thing feels far less intimidating. Clearly, though, they are onto something. Shuttle busses to and from the Vancouver airport transporting “guests” from Deutchland? An entire staff that is bilingual with
Staring At Flowers I Do Not Recognize
English and German? The waiting room resembled a small airport with travellers picking up and dropping off RV’s. Canada is it. I understand the forests of Germany are ‘vacuumed’ in feeling. Seeing this reinforces to me the value and uniqueness of what we have.

I write this by the bank of the Ashinola River in Cathedral Lake country near Keremeos. There is a quality here that is similar to Sedona, less mystical perhaps, but even more powerful in a pristine way. The red rocks, pines, smooth boulders and roaring waters are soothing and I find myself deeply relaxing when I did not even understand I was tense. There is a purity here that is a balm for the spirit. Dorothy MacLean, formerly of Findhorn, writes that every country has a devic oversoul. Canada, must be crystalline if I were to imagine it. I sit and I read a newly published book about Vancouverites becoming ranchers in the remote Chilcotin. It is called “Somewhere Inbetween” which is kind of how I feel. Anything really to avoid “Care And Cleaning Of Your Corian Counters” although I did capitulate at one point today with  the driver’s manual when a light would not go out, rather a concession I thought on my part. I love my new folding chair. It is just right. I lean back and stare at flowers I do not really recognize and eye a bird who is watching me wanting crumbs possibly. It has been far too long since I just sat and read and it feels wonderful to give into the charms of this place and put my feet up, my faithful doggie at my side.