Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

August 8, 2015

Settling Into My Feathers

By Maryanna Gabriel


                        “Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff.
                          If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest--and when I say thinking
                          I mean thinking--you and I must do it.” 

                                                                                       ― A.A. MilneThe House at Pooh Corner

Big Old Owl
Not Fluff For Brains
Once in a while I do something really intelligent and lie in the hammock. It's not as easy as it sounds. Time out is not one of my strong suits. I do this feeling remarkably proud of myself when all of a sudden I feel a "whooosh" of wings. Amazingly, a big old owl flew up and perched on a tree branch above me. He was lovely. He didn't notice me, I was as still as could be watching him, when all of a sudden, he swiveled his head the way owls do. His look went right through me and my gizzards lurched as his piercing round eyes took me in. He seemed unperturbed. I marveled at his calm. I admired how his mottled feathers resembled the bark, how perfectly camouflaged he was. I became aware of a lot of bird sounds around me, a real racket, as I listened. One robin, in particular was quite irate. I watched as this robin swooped aggressively and dive-bombed the owl several times. The owl just closed his eyes. In fact it seemed to me he was having a nap. I too closed my eyes and thought how honoured I was by the presence of my visitor as the forest twittered and tweeted around me. Any movement on my part seemed like a tremendous effort. It occurred to me that I could be more like this owl and ignore the twittering of the world around me, the unwelcome behaviours of the fluff-for-brains type, knowing I am a bit of alright. I capitulated to the heat, felt a deep peace, and deeply relax. I too, can settle into my feathers.