Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

January 16, 2016

The Other End Of Rainbow

By Maryanna Gabriel
"When I have lived with a tree for many years
it seems to me like a beloved companion.
"
Lucy Maude Montgomery


... feeling as though I am losing dear friends....
Sometimes I think people have it in for trees. I am in mourning. They are taking the trees down at the end of Rainbow. Not at the end of a rainbow, silly. Rainbow Road. Two lovely long lines of Douglas Fir are slowly coming down. It is like a physical ache. I feel as though I am losing dear friends and a familiar comforting landmark. That is just me I suppose.

Recently I was with a friend in Victoria. We had parked the car and I was standing stock still. "What are you doing?" she asked me. "Why I'm...," I hesitated. I was taking in the lovely energy of the pines that were beside us. I told her what I was doing. I added, "You have an unusual friend." She said nothing. It was unconscious until my friend queried me.

We all know we need them... the lungs of the earth and all that. We just cannot seem to help ourselves. They are viewed as being in the way as opposed to cherished microbiomes. For me they are shaggy old friends who have everything to give as energy biotransducers. Most of us have no thanks. They are considered common. Without them we would not survive on the earth. Yet onward ho with the saws as if Sauron himself was in command. Like an old Ent I watch preciously over the wee forest that surrounds my house at the other end of Rainbow. It's a tough job but someone has to do it.