Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

January 9, 2016

Not Exactly Ho Hum

 By Maryanna Gabriel 

Well get out of that bed, wash your face and hands
....Well I said shake, rattle and roll, I said shake, rattle and roll
                                              Sung by Elvis Presley


Well there have not been any more big quakes around these parts which is just fine. After last week's entry I heard from a friend with her quake experience during that deep, dark night. It is quite a story. I share it here with you with my thanks and her permission. 

Dear Maryanna,

Just read your blog on the earth quake - well my reaction was the opposite. This earth quake was my first. I was awake and reading. Suddenly my bed moved and I looked up to see the bedroom wall move in and out accompanied by a loud THUD sound. I felt absolutely petrified. However, within seconds I was out of bed and had my clothes on, got my winter coat on and grabbed my keys. I headed down to the parkade and moved my car into the street. Once on the street I looked around. 
"There wasn't another soul to be seen."

There wasn't another soul to be seen. I knew I hadn't imagined the earth quake and there was no doubt in my mind that it was an earth quake. So where was everyone else? Why was I the only person concerned about this? I was quite frankly expecting an aftershock - seemed logical to me. So I sat in my car - shaking (and that isn't hard to do with Parkinson’s?)

I noticed a man coming up the sidewalk walking his dog. I got out of the car and said to him, "Did we just have an earth quake?"

With a nice, calm smile he responded, "Yes, it was an earth quake - 4.8 and deep - you didn't imagine it."

I decided to go back into my suite but that very day I had taken the main door key off of my key chain to lend to a workman who was doing maintenance on our roof. I hadn't put it back on the key chain... so here I am at midnight walking around the building to see who still had lights on and who might answer their buzzer and let me in the building. My dear friend on the third floor was gracious enough to answer his buzzer at midnight and let me in but not before laughing at me for panicking about the "little" earth quake.

Safely back in my suite, I phoned my son nearby - he didn't answer the phone as by then he was out on his street looking around to see what was going on (he is a fireman). When he got back inside his home he saw that I had called and so he texted me to pack a bag and be ready to evacuate. So I packed some clothes, meds, passport, computer and plugged in my cell phone so if I did have to evacuate my phone battery was fully charged. Then I lay back on my bed fully clothed with the light on and waited. I finally fell asleep around 5 a.m. The next day I had a nap around 3 p.m. for a couple of hours. THE END

Not exactly ho hum. I think we can all feel deep empathy for her story. On the good side, all's well that ends well.