Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

July 31, 2021

Swimming With The Beavers

 By Maryanna Gabriel

Well the island is flooded with tourists. We almost forgot what it is like here on a long weekend. Ganges in chockablock because today is Market Day. I have learned to adapt. I never go to town on a Saturday morning and for my lake swim I wake up early. It is usually quiet but only if I arrived at dawn.

Sometimes a Bald Headed Eagle surveys me from a tall dead tree but yesterday I was surprised by a quickly moving form in the water. It had a large head, too big to be a mink. Maybe it was an otter. Do otters live in lakes? I made as little movement as possible and studied him. Suddenly, he saw me and veered, and then dove. Slap, went his tail. Then it came to me. A beaver. A brief survey of the shoreline confirmed what I was looking for - the beginnings of a lodge. Close to a high traffic area too. Not the best choice of location but then maybe he was a cosmopolitan sort of fellow. One wonders how far he has traveled and from where.