Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

May 20, 2023

My Secret Garden

 By Maryanna Gabriel


It has been gaspingly hot, breaking all records. The forests to the east are burning, and my family in Alberta are not able to go outside. Their skies are orange and the air quality is intolerable. Did we have a shoulder season between unseasonable cold and unseasonable hot? If we did, it was far too brief. 

It is soothing to escape to the backyard, tiny compared
to what I am used to, but charming none the less.

Groundcovers mingling madly. 

Years ago, an avid gardener spent a lot of time and energy on it. While it was not well understood by the intervening owner, I am getting acquainted with what is going on when, and what needs to be contained where. Ground covers have escaped and are mingling madly. All very zen studying it all and working out the rhythm of plantings.

Last night, I learned blackberry leaves are rife with minerals. Rather than madly glaring at the blackberries this morning, I stepped to where they are comingling, nevermind they are impinging on the rhubarb. Plucking the fresh new leaves for the morning smoothie, I recognized it was a gift, I had cast aside, and was now finally receiving.