Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

April 15, 2024

Heartening Visit To The Coast

 By Maryanna Gabriel


With a friend in West Vancouver and walking in the rain.

Me on sunny Salt Spring Island.
April is a good time for a road trip I am discovering. Most places are open and not at all busy. I have made my way to West Vancouver where I visited and reveled in the beauty of the plum blossoms and the happiness of being once again by the ocean. Much of my youth is wrapped around such places that I was overjoyed to walk once again. Continuity of place seemed important. And people.

On Vancouver Island, I had more inspiring visits with old souls and then dealt with the winter tires being replaced for summer ones. After the snow and cold of a long winter, it has warmed my heart to connect with those who have known me since forever. Sincere and intimate conversation, fun walks, meals, and general appreciation of the onset of spring in the lush biome of the west coast has been heartening. 
 
A friend buys after dinner drinks and we sit
by the fire at genteel Hastings House.


In the town of Sidney, I got my hair cut and stopped in Tanner's Books and checked to see if the book I wrote was there. It was. I offered to autograph it for the store and they were happy about this. The lady at the reference desk said,"I read it. It's very well written." That was such a compliment. She certainly has a basis for comparison.

A special and delicious dinner on Salt Spring Island
at the genteel, Hastings House, has topped the visit off. Sometimes a person has to live a little. 

As I write, I am able to see little buttons of land that are wee islands which dot the sea beyond my window. The phone thinks I am in the States but I am actually on the southeastern side of Mayne Island. Orcas Island in the San Juans is very close. One day I will go there but not today. It is time to say goodbye to the ocean and return to the Kootenies where my plants are slowly expiring in the kitchen sink. 

Button of land off Mayne Island. 
b