Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

April 7, 2024

Nakusp

 By Maryanna Gabriel 


Lovely Nakusp.
Was glad to hear that Nakusp had no large groups of people to inter. With a sweeping lake views, surrounded by mountains it has an open feeling. It struck me as a pretty place with a population of about 1,600. It was founded in 1892 as a consequence of gold and silver mining. The first thing I noticed was the strangely high embankment to the lake and then I remembered. This area was traumatized by the building of the Keenleyside Dam in 1968.

I talked to varying locals. Some remembered what happened to their parents and grandparents. At the time, there had been no discussion from the government. People were given the amount designated for the purchase of their property, their homes were burned, and then razed by bulldozers. End of story. During this period, many ranches disappeared forever that were up and down the lakes, as did homesteads, and parts of other historic towns in numerous sites such as Ranata, Deer Park, Farquier, Needles Edgewood, Burton, along with hundreds of summer houses and fishing holes. 

Today as I walk the steep embankment that surrounds Nakusp, I am struck by how low the water levels
Exposed shoreline and falling lake level in Nakusp.

are. I was informed at the Visitor Center, the Arrow Lakes are now a "reservoir" from Castlegar to Revelstoke. Last summer, the gate that allows flow into the United States was "stuck" as we provided to our southern neighbours. (Canadians are so nice.) There was no communication about the event with the lake communities affected. Commercial enterprises such as logging came to a complete halt in Nakusp because the booms could not land. Boaters and swimmers were compromised. As I drove north, I was shocked by how low the water is in comparison to my memory of it when I kayaked the area with an old boyfriend in the 1990s. 

Another hot spring swim. Very pleasant. Interesting to note that the natural hot pool above the Nakusp Hot Springs was mysteriously dynamited and the road to it made impassible by fallen trees so that people have no choice but to use the commercialized pool. No charges laid.

Passing white tailed deer, and arresting waterfalls, I was onto the Galena Crossing for the free ferry. It felt as though I was leaving one world for another as I departed the Kootenies and headed towards the coast. 


Nakusp Hot Springs

Arresting waterfall, Arrow Lakes.

Low lake level from Galena Bay Ferry.

Leaving a beautiful and historic area.