Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

May 4, 2013

Wild Pacific Trail


By Maryanna Gabriel

Our west coast has many moods and my recent visit to Pacific Rim National Park, showed me them all. I found myself on the “Wild Pacific Trail” drawn by the haunting bell coming from the sea where there was an
Mossy Trees-Wild Pacific Trail
unmanned lighthouse. The first lighthouse had blown away. A horn moaned rhythmically as waves and wind pummeled the rocky shore. Here I read it was the “graveyard of the Pacific” as many ships had gone down, including a barque where 28 men and one woman drowned at the turn of the century. That’s funny, I thought. I had dreamed of a woman by my bed in a long dress the night before. It wasn't a malevolent presence but I wasn't too keen on the visit. Could it have been her, I wondered? Amazingly the shoreline was lined with grasses where the sound of frogs calling were my only reply. What  a funny place for frogs, I thought to myself. The rain redoubled and I backtracked to trees along the trail that were storm-bent into protective sculptured shapes forming alcoves. A lunch at Sobo’s with old friends in Toffino seemed a good step, and I relaxed with a comforting and delicious bowl of curried mussels and clams. Finding a different bed for the night was what I did soon after.