Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

August 10, 2019

Sleuthing Amid The Shrubberies

By Maryanna Gabriel
      A hot new day dawned and I thought to make my way to the field of blackberries
across the way in the cool of the morn at 5:30 a.m. The sheep were at the far end and still seemed to be asleep. I began picking.

    A Honda came through. It is a dead end street and feeling watchful I re-positioned myself. It went up a drive. The vehicle halted part way up on private property which I thought was really strange. I continued picking. After some minutes the Honda started and slowly crept down the road as if it was trying to avoid detection. My ear tracked the muted tick tick of a diesel engine. It slowly approached my property and, damn, if it didn't stop at the scene of the crime of the slain flowers of yesterday. Perhaps they were looking for the plastic whorl?

     My heart thudding and colander in hand, I sprang to the gate which was awkward to open and came through. I stood completely still amid the shrubberies. I wanted to be sure to see who this person was and what they were doing. The Honda started up and ticked past me. A pretty, mature, blonde woman was positioning sunglasses onto her nose a slight smile playing on her lips or was I imagining it? She didn't see me. Was I supposed to spring out waving my colander and confront her? What would Trixie Belden do? Or Miss Fisher? Thoughtfully, with black berries in tow, I returned home.