Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

September 18, 2019

Him ~ chapter six

By Maryanna Gabriel


      I could feel the hair standing up on my arms. Slowly I backed away from the window grabbing the phone as I moved and hunching down I retreated to the kitchen. Should I phone the police? What would I say? I stood there for a long time listening and realized it would be night soon and he would have to stop. The house was dark. Quietly I moved towards my bedroom and settled in. I took something to help me sleep.

      Was this day three? I awoke with the police on my mind. I played with the electrical panel and managed to knock out the porch light. I was pretty sure I had cut the power. I scuttled my way warily across the yard and peered into his truck. Oh goodie. It was filled with wood. He was moving it out of the yard. The drive to the RCMP was short. I knocked. The door was a steel vault. Not sure why that would be. Nobody was home. Slowly my eye focused on a piece of paper taped to the door. Logic seemed difficult. It said that if nobody was there to use the red phone to my right. Red phone. This is weird. Bond. James Bond. I was talking to Nanaimo, a city on the big island. "Did I want to open a case file," asked the metallic voice. Why yes, I did. "A constable will be with you shortly ma'am." I waited. A half hour. I wasn't going home until somebody knew what I was going through. The sun felt good and I tried to relax. He came. I took in the bullet proof vest, the guns, a radio strapped to his shoulder and felt happiness. I wondered momentarily if he would come home with me? I babbled. He listened rather unmoved. He said this was not a police matter. "Right," I said. I headed toward the door and turned. He said, "Tell you what. If he is still not out by this evening give me a call." Oh rapture. Joy flooded through me and feeling brave in the event of reprisal I raced home.