Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

September 15, 2019

Him ~ chapter two

By Maryanna Gabriel


     In the morning I knew what to do. "There is a load of wood in the yard that I never authorized or ordered." That was all I wrote. I felt calmer. Less violated. I began to work outside and a few minutes later he came flying up the path gesticulating wildly. In his thick French accent he said, "I'll move it - I'll move it." He loped past me to his truck, arms still rotating, where his trailer was parked and grabbed his phone. He returned, again wildly waving and repeating his words. I had to smile. Life skills? Not really.

      A half hour later he reappeared as I was panting with some soil. Someone more prudent might have offered to help me carry it but that never occurred to him. What came next was wile. "How much do you want for the wood?" I asked and dropped my load. He eyed me. "I was hoping for $500 but I would go for $450." This man must think I am a fool. I shook my head. "It isn't worth $250," I answered. "You brought this here without my permission. Please take it away." Head ducked, he nodded and retreated.

      Three days passed. Nothing. No movement. I began to worry. I paid a visit to the cottage. There was garbage everywhere. An immediate trip was necessary. Rats and raccoons are a concern living in the forest near a harbour.  I checked the hot tub. Ten days prior it had been pristine. It looked like someone had thrown in a bucket of sawdust. It was horrifying. It would have to be cleaned again. I was angry. My patience had hit expiry.