Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

February 3, 2020

Window Boxes

By Maryanna Gabriel


"No matter what,
it always comes down to,
what you choose to see."
-Jonna Jinton


This is a difficult time to be born in and live. Right? There is a lot going on in the world right now and my way of dealing with it is by making window boxes.

I have two that need replacing and for some reason there seems to be a short supply out there. Hard to locate wooden window boxes that don't cost a song. I decided to make some. It seemed like a cheerful thing to do.

I approach carpentry like I do a painting. It is a bold and brave act. Just cutting the wood alone sends chills up my spine. I have a second hand saw that puffs blue smoke and only cuts on a certain angle because it is frozen in one position. When I make the cuts I always wonder if it is my last moment on earth as it roars and screeches. The only way I can shut it off is by unplugging it. I know. It's ridiculous.

I think I made the boxes upside down but it's okay. It will do the trick, probably not a lasting job for a lifetime but at least the boxes will work for the short term. The hearts really make it, I thought. With an Impatiens plant in it you won't even notice.