Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

March 18, 2020

Big Island Covid Update

By Maryanna Gabriel 

With thanks to my friend Martha for this.
     Riding on the ferry from a serious grocery shop in the Cowichan Valley, and I am coming home without toilet paper. I checked three large grocery stores. None. Nada. Nix. I considered it a major score I found tissues.

      On the big island the entire poultry and beef sections were completely empty. The produce section had huge gaps. When someone sneezed near the flour I felt like running. It was then I realized how vulnerable I was.

     "Sneeze into your arm," I said. "You are scaring people." The man avoided my eye and walked away. Even if he had been covering his mouth, it wouldn't have made a difference if he was infected. It was one of those kind of sneezes.

     I made it to a landscaping center. The man on the cash was barking orders over the phone.

      "What are you closing?" I asked. I couldn't help but overhear.

      "I own a gas station up island. One of our employees has symptoms."

      "Oh," I said. Oh dear. I wanted to come home at that point. I decided to skip my favourite bakery. I had just purchased a huge bag of flour anyway. So what if their blackberry cinnamon buns are pillowy soft and to die for.

       Riding the ferry back to the island I am so glad to be returning to the property. I tune into Canadian radio. More border restrictions - am so proud of Canada. The cusp of grace that is this period in time is fast narrowing.











© All Rights Reserved. Unless otherwise indicated, all blog content copyright Maryanna Gabriel.