Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

January 17, 2022

On The Question Of Book Agents


My Agent Dilemma
 By Maryanna Gabriel

The last thing the editor I spoke to said was, "Get an agent." It seemed like I needed to be preparing for... well, I do not want to jinx anything. After the unhappy experience last week with an agent, I got to thinking about a fellow I once contacted after producing my book, Memento; A Coastal Recipe Treasure. He had boasted he was Ann Murray's agent and it all seemed on the up-and-up. He happily accepted the $800 he demanded and read the riot act about working with anyone else. Months passed. Then a year. When I wrote, he was vague. Then I knew. I'd been had. Really, Maryanna. It is the worst feeling. 

Now of course I know better. An agent never takes money up front. They take it after they have negotiated
a contract. I have been sitting here thinking...with my trust levels already down from both agent experiences, I am realizing I do not believe anyone else would work as hard on my behalf. Nobody cares about my business as much as I do. 

As it turned out, my book has done well locally and that has been enough. This picture of my grandson's, sums up the situation. It is kind of a Rudolph dragon. I am not sure if it represents me or how I feel about this dilemma vis-à-vis the question of agents, but it is awfully apropos and I am going to use it.