Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

January 29, 2022

Salt Spring Island Crystals

 By Maryanna Gabriel



Salt Spring Island is known for its crystals, maybe it is the salt springs themselves, and because of this the island has a reputation for being a healing place.

With my back being so sore from the fall last August and it being slow to heal, I hired someone to come and help me with my roof. He seemed older than he may have been, for he had experienced a rough life, and talked about the varying shelters he had stayed in across the country. Somehow he has landed on Salt Spring where rentals are hard to come by. He asked me if I would take him to the food bank as he had no vehicle. I wanted to take him to the grocery store thinking I could help him out, but he said all of his funds needed to go to pay the expensive rent. 

While he worked on my roof, I went through my cupboards. I could see he had tinned food, a loaf of bread, and eggs from the food bank, but no fresh food. I reasoned he was a hard worker and would land on his feet soon, but at the moment giving him a hand to bridge the gap would help. He did a good job and as I drove him home, he told me that during his walks on the island, he had found crystals. With all the rain we have been having, they were eroding out of the roadsides where there were mud slides.

A man who finds crystals? With this, I realized then this man was supposed to be here, that being here was part of his healing. I said that the crystals would help sleep as he was suffering from nightmares. When I dropped him off, I gave him the food. He said if ever I needed help again he would drop everything to come. As I drove away along the seashore, I wept. I am not sure why. Maybe it is for all of the heart break in this world.