Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

September 20, 2022

Magical Tod Inlet

 By Maryanna Gabriel


I felt blessed with a visit from my daughter and we traipsed into a most magical place, Tod Inlet. I packed a picnic. Todd Inlet is located on the outskirts of Victoria, adjacent Butchart Gardens. The entire area was exploited for the limestone and so were the workers - the Chinese and Sikhs who laboured in horrendous conditions for the cement that was produced.


The trees seemed of the nicer sort, rather forgiving I thought, given the artifacts of an unkind industry that was once pervasive. Concrete and metal protruded out of mossy and leafy hillocks as the maples turned golden and the water sparkled beyond. Such is the legacy of a buried and forgotten industry.

We stopped and listened as a raccoon snuffled along a ravine then watched a crab make its way along the shore. It was splendid as only time with a daughter who lives too far away can be.