Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

September 13, 2022

Victoria Art Gallery - Maud


 By Maryanna Gabriel

I think I must be starved for the arts and culture. I could not wait to join the Victoria Art Gallery and rush in to see the show of the artist, Maud's work. The thing about this gallery is that it is housed in an old manor with gracious curving stairways, interesting inlaid wood, and fireplaces not lit for decades. In 1889, it was built for under $30,000, a fortune in its day. One is not only taking in the shows, of which there were several, but also entranced by the setting which faces an inner courtyard with a strong Japanese garden component just to mix eras and cultures even more. 

Maud Lewis died in 1970 in Digby, Nova Scotia, and painted in a folk-art style. Seeing so many pieces
convey a childish exuberance with colour, one that plays with the senses and uplifts the heart. She had a hard life marked by poverty and disability, but somehow her love of art carried her. She captures life and Nova Scotian landscape, in primary colours and a "naive" style.

It made me feel sheepish for I get twisted in my own work into such a bungled knot - it seemed to me she painted without caring a hoot. The presentation was a testemony to joy. Sometimes art carries us to where we need to be.