Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

February 18, 2024

Sunday Thoughts


 By Maryanna Gabriel


"Every dead body on Mt. Everest 
was once a highly motivated person,
so maybe calm down."
- J.P.Gowinder

Out on the town.

It's Sunday today. Free parking in this town in the Kootenies where I live. They use these old-fashioned meters that require actual money. Really different. Am amazed by the number of coffee shops. Salt Spring Island, with the same population, had a third the number. One of my goals is to visit every single cafe, and so today is a big day because I save a toonie with the meters when I go out on the town. 

There is one point of friction amid all this caffeine bliss and goal setting. The bodies on the street. Not like New Delhi in India or anything, but as on Salt Spring, the number of people taking drugs and whatnot is out of control. And like Salt Spring, there is food given to help support those "less fortunate". Meanwhile, vandalism increases to an alarming degree as I sidestep angry youth talking to the air, or passed out in store doorways. It is a problem that is nation wide, judging by the news. We give our youth heroine, meth, and fentanol. For free. Really? And how is this progressive, again? Statistic. Canada has the second highest death rate for drugs in the world.
Oh, Canada. And did I really hear this correctly on CBC radio? In British Columbia, seven to eight of our youth are dying on a daily basis.

Portland, in Oregon to the south of us, is in an epic state of unpleasantness, so I'm guessing it is widespread in America as well. This morning I listened to a podcast on Reuters about the traffic of drugs from Peru and Uruguay, and how these drugs travel the globe. By the sounds of things, more are reaching Europe than North America. What does all this despair say? Seems to me addiction is best dealt with by not enabling it. By not feeding into it. Hello. By not feeding it. 

Me - I notice that I am unconconsciously avoiding places where the drug tribes are thriving on the sidewalks in clumps. When it comes to real estate and purchasing a new home, I don't want to feel worried about theft.

I do know one has to find joy in the quieter humble places. Like the blossom of spring flowers, a passing smile during a lakeside walk, peaceful bird calls, or quiet moments with a good book. Somehow we have to make our way as best we can. Onto my next latte. What a wild woman.