Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

February 1, 2024

Winter as a West Coaster

 By Maryanna Gabriel


Behold. My winter fashion line. 

It's all coming back to me. The persistent piles of dirty snow melting in the rain. The puddles of wet by the door as one comes to terms with snowy boots. How to sweat uncomfortably in stores, or car, only to experience a bone chilling bitterness once outside as layers are alternately applied or removed, too soon or too late. 

Feeling inspired by an environment where I look longingly at earflaps, I have made progress with my winter fashion line. Note the hand knit sweater, the open fingered gloves, the charming matching scarf. I have not been idle. 

The other day, I found an informative scrap of paper tucked into my writing binder. It was from a time before this all began. An innocently written travel plan. Something about Spain and being a hospitero and a bit of a European explore. That was before. Before I understood the inflated housing market, or learned rentals have increased 22% in the past two years, and that there is a 1% vacancy rate. Before terror struck my wame, as the Scottish say, and I grasped I had sold and was caught in an inflated economy most of us could not have foreseen.

 Such a good word, prudent. Knit. Pearl. Yes, best be prudent.