Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

January 27, 2024

Creating In The Still Of January

 By Maryanna Gabriel


One of the nicest things I get to do these days, besides feel indignant about winter as though it isn't supposed to be here, is read other people's stories and contribute input. This gives the editors a sieve when it comes to what they want to publish with the sheer volume of submissions. It is tons of fun contributing to Geist this way, a Canadian literary magazine. If I am feeling depressed about my own lack of progress, reading the submissions and giving commentary helps me feel connected to a writing community. It is not so bad. We are all in the same sea trying to do our best with word-smithing.  

I have a file called "Rubbish" on my laptop. Two versions of where I want to head next have just been dumped into it (learned a long time ago not to throw stuff out because it might circle back around). Right now I am on a third version. It is somewhat scary, like jumping off a deep end, and it is also exciting. Maybe it will be another dead end, but so far so good. 

If a person needed quiet, lack of interruption, clarity, and time to process to write, then I can say I have this now from my mountain aerie. When I am stumped, I draw. 


When I am stumped, I draw.