Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

January 14, 2024

Prudent To Rent Pt 3

 By Maryanna Gabriel


The nearby coastline was impressive. I loved it. I would need to move quickly. 

The pictures were of an all wood house set in the privacy of an apple orchard. The owner had squeezed me in as the last viewing. Not so good. The budget for the rent was already a huge stretch, but I decided for an entire house, it would be worth it. Damn the expense. Now there was a lineup? She had been interviewing prospective tenants for two days. Yeesh.

When we entered, the smell was an assault on the senses. The low dark rooms were cramped and reeked of wet dog and something else. The next room was worse and apparently the dog was allocated the entire space. Then there was the kitchen. Words failed. The owner pointed to a tussle of grass. "Here is the garden." What? No fencing? Oh boy. The deer would have a heyday. It was nothing like the pictures posted in the ad and I had come such a long way. It would take me weeks, maybe months, to bring it up to standard. If at all. 

She turned and faced me. I was not a candidate; she was looking for someone who wanted the house for years.

Right. Thank goodness. No worries, I could contain the disappointment. Turning to leave, she stopped me. She did not want me to go...