Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

July 24, 2014

New Brunswick Ghost Dance

By Maryanna Gabriel 


     “Ghosts dance on the edge of my vision.
They follow me, stalk me, then vanish when I take notice. 
I turn quickly when I see them flirting with daylight
in the corner of my eyes, but I am too slow.”
After River by Donna Milner

                                                                    


My Brother & I - Our Home In Moncton 1959
I must have missed something. The first language of New Brunswick appears to be French. Even the signage. You know when Tim Horton’s says “Toujour Frais” it is official. I found myself in a private campground relieved to be able to put my feet up and read. Although there was no one around me I felt as though I was being watched. I must have drifted off. When  I awoke darkness had fallen. With the clarity of perception one does not permit the day-time mind, I sensed I was either on or near, a graveyard. Something caught my eye.

Ooooooh. Little lights. Eerie. I rubbed my eyes. I rubbed my eyes again. Lots of lights. I saw I was surrounded by little fire flies. Somehow, after that I slept - the sounds of “poing” from some frog creature assailing my fraught senses. Gratefully I pulled out of there the next morning.
I Return 2014 
By the time I got to Shediac I felt better. I bought a lobster and turned my van southward and nosed into Moncton. Somehow I found our former house. It looked just the same. How remarkable. Even the trees were the same.

I stared up at the window of my old room as tears came to my eyes. Realizing it was just memories I was looking at there, I knew I would not see myself looking back. I walked in the blazing summer heat to my friend’s old house and then found the route to my old school. Mission accomplished.

My heart full, I drove out of Moncton, and feeling an inward anticipation, I headed toward the Confederation Bridge that is Prince Edward Island.



Waving For The Past: I Am Top Right - A Day With My Family In New Brunswick