Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

July 21, 2014

Saguenay & Gaspesie

By Maryanna Gabriel

Northern Quebec in the Saguenay region is famous for Lac Saint Jean with over 250 miles of sandy beaches. I did not feel drawn to the area and so therefore I departed. I arrived at the St. Lawrence crossing of Riviere-du-Loup. On the ferry, there is a bar and free internet. Being from the Pacific Gulf Islands, these are noteworthy points. In Riviere-du-Loup I was intrigued to see that heritage has taken cute to a whole new level. I loved it. I immediately felt revived by the light, aesthetics, and the openness of the area which I felt I was missing in the north.

Sculpture of Marcel Gagnon
I have learned to travel at night or early in the morning so as to enjoy a road less travelled.  When I stop to shop, the grocery stores make me weep with the appetizing array of wonderful food. The choice of wine selections in the gas stations makes my jaw drop. How come we can't get this? The Gaspe is incredibly photogenic. I include here artwork by Marcel Gagnon of Saint-Flavie. He is clearly prolific and artistry just seems to flow out of him.

The Roche Perce was a surprise because the Gaspesie has been relatively uncommercialized but this town felt like a New Orleans Mardi Gras. There was music throbbing and people amassed in the streets, as the bars overflowed, the traffic crawled and the sun beamed.

I have tried not to have expectations about what I am seeing but I did not understand that the Gaspe is a beautiful and memorable coastline that is superlative. This really is sublime. I seem to have come to waves and a high tide which means I have finally arrived. Hello Atlantic.

Roche Perce