Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

July 3, 2014

Writing On Stone

By Maryanna Gabriel

“We shall move. We shall move. We shall move to Writing On Stone.
There are many berries, especially cherries…”
Ullenbeck’s “Blackfoot Texts”


Writing-On-Stone Provincial Park
I was glad I had come. I was unprepared for the impact of the hoodoos. This area fairly pulsates. The wind and rain-sculpted sandstone has created shapes that are animate and other-wordily in quality, many with little caps. The area teems with pictographs, petroglyphs, and artifacts, testimony to the spiritual regard with which the Blackfoot held this site. It is said to be the largest concentration of rock art in Canada. I decided a tour was worth it and I took an air conditioned shuttle bus with a guide to a restricted area that I could not otherwise have access to. Camping is not what it used to be. Our guide was Blackfoot. She had a real presence and I quite liked her. She was about my age, wearing much turquoise with several long black
Hoodoos
braids down her back that were tied together, a long skirt with cowboy boots, and a park ranger shirt. She asked that we not take her picture and warned us of rattlers. She told us that as a baby she was very sick and that the doctors could do nothing for her. Her father took her out of the hospital and held her to his skin on his chest until she was three. She thinks her father saved her. She felt that because of this that the gift of her life was even more precious. She told us how this area was very sacred and that she herself has done several vision quests here. This means going without food, water, and contact with people for four days. She says this is good to do especially when one’s life is out of balance. She described what the petroglyphs represented and that the area depicted art that was as old as 3,000 years before present and possibly 5 to 6 thousand years old. There is a famous panel that is a battle scene. In the 1800’s approximately 70,000 Blackfoot camped on the Milk River here with the Blue Grass Hills of Montana just beyond. A great war commenced with Blackfoot against the Crow and Cree. The Crow were known especially for their fast and handsome horses. The Blackfoot won the war and maintained a hold on their sacred grounds. She showed how the art in places reveals how many times a warrior shows bravery by going up and touching the enemy, not killing him, as a sign of courage and to shame the other tribe. These are vertical lines in the rock. Stealing horses was another favourite past time and a way to humiliate the enemy. She shows us a burial site and told us that the Blackfoot think if you bury a body then the soul is trapped therefore the body is left in protected
Natural Formation Called "The Table" On Milk River
rock crevasses so the soul can escape. Later in time bodies were left in houses in the open and the house abandoned. Napi is the name of Creator and the Blackfoot, like many cultures, have the same myth of the great flood. Circles on the tipis depict connection to the star people. The art narrates contact with the settlers and the North West Mounted Police who had quite a job keeping order as gold, whiskey and all the ails of civilization took hold. I am shown either a covered wagon or a Model T Ford rock carving. Horses are etched in which she said were made by the mounties a hundred years ago. I lift my head to the south and I am astounded by the formations visible from a distance across the Milk River. It looks like a temple. Beside “The Table” which I show in the photograph here there seemed to me to be rock guardians around a central plaza that rivals anything I saw in Egypt. It is all natural, nothing is contrived, or fashioned. I asked if there were any stories about the formation and she nodded but said nothing further. She said there was a thunderbird painted in the rocks there that is a meter wide. As we were listening to her the heat just came off the rocks in waves. Although I was protected from mosquitoes I found I was being molested by a small fly that bit through my clothing, my pants, around my neck, into my ear, and even in my nose. Back at the Visitor Center I gladly fork over ten dollars for some Deet and I still felt I was being bitten. I wonder what the Blackfoot used. Willow was a sacred plant for them and held medicinal properties. I read on a plaque that they regarded animals and plants as equals to human life and that these life forms were treated with reverence and respect. Down by the river the campers of the day enjoy a cool dip and signs warn to keep the gate closed so that beavers won’t get into the campsite and take down the trees. That night I feel very unhappy about my swollen and bitten body but I think of the day with wonder and gladness..