Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

February 12, 2022

Ganges Tootle

 By Maryanna Gabriel

Well I suppose if a publisher says one's work is "compelling" when they reject you, it makes it better. This week I've gotten out eight submissions so I am not sure if this means I am ahead or behind. 

It is not often I can say that I am tootling about with the Salt Spring Island writer-in-residence, but it turns out she was was someone I was a teaching assistant for at Simon Fraser's, The Writer's Studio. She is a city girl so island life is an adjustment . When I told her I food-shopped for a month at a time, her job dropped (it's often more but I didn't want to seem farfetched). She says she shops by the day in Vancouver. Imagine that. I think we might have her graduated to a week's worth of supplies at a time while she is here. 

Yesterday we had a nice tootle through the galleries in Ganges - tons of fun. It's inspiring to see the sun shining after so many days of fog, and the island seems busy with visitor's this weekend, perhaps due to Valentine's. Julie Burtinshaw is the author of seven books, and is giving an artist's talk on Salt Spring Island on February 15, 2022, which is here. Wonderful to get out with a writerly friend.