Magic Cottage Creations

Magic Cottage Creations
Return to my website.

November 29, 2021

Forest Bathing In My Atmospheric River

 By Maryanna Gabriel


My first thought upon waking up is that I need to dig a ditch in the driveway. The "atmospheric river" is upon us. Water is still streaming down our road and my driveway seems to be a nice little drain. This is all due to the strip logging up on the mountainside. Funny thing about language. Who ever heard of atmospheric rivers before?

The Japanese are big on "forest bathing", or shinrin-yoku. It means there is therapeutic benefit to walking among trees. There are whole courses on it and even therapists who offer guidance through the process. Who knew I could have been capitalizing on this concept over the years. With all of the first growth on the property, I missed a great opportunity. I suppose it is not too late. One would have to be prepared for the river streaming through the sky though.

So I am forest bathing in my atmospheric river.